When you’re thinking about what to put in your lunch box, consider these things if you’re trying to lose weight.1 Comment »
Everyone loves a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwhich but we came up with a way to make it even nicer.Â
Instead of using white bread use a Ciabatta loaf - it is a healthier option and tastes great to.
Make it a BLAT by adding mashed Avacado to it and spreading it over the bread.September 30th, 2006 by good-lunch | 1 Comment »
The ultimate sandwhich filler, dip or nacho topping is Gucamole. Its so easy to make and is delicious. You should make your Guacamole by hand rather than using a food processor as doing it by hand gives it the right texture needed.
If you have a shared lunch at work bring a bowl of Guacamole with some crackers and a few vegies such as carrots and celery.
For A Great Guacamole Recipie see http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe1380.September 22nd, 2006 by good-lunch | No Comments »
Focaccia would have to be one of my favourite types of bread and is great plain, with some pesto on top or even toasted.
You can by Foccaccia from most bakerys or if you have the time you can make your own using this recipie.
Foccacia can also make an excellent sandwhich bread for your lunch and we have come up with ideas on what you can do with it.
- cut it into thin strips and put a bit of basil or red pepper pesto on top.
- cut the loave in the center and place some ham, cheese and tomato in and toast it.
- you can even use the foccacia base to make pizza! Throw some tomato paste on the base with cheese and some of your favourite toppings and throw it under the grill for 20mins.
Yum!September 16th, 2006 by good-lunch | No Comments »
With a long cold winter coming soon we came up with some hot ideas for your lunch to keep you warm this winter.
Buy a thermos, they start at about $10USD and they are a cheap option to keep food warm.
Some great ‘thermos foods’ include mince and vegetable mixtures, chilli beans and pasta dishes.
To keep foods hotter for longer preheat your flask by filling it with a bit of hot water untill you are ready to fill it with your hot food.
Buy a can of your favourite soup and ad some vegies and ham to the mixture.
If you have a microwave at your workplace another great idea is to bring some pre-prepared food to heat up.
This could include
- selection of pre-cooked vegies
- rice or noodles.
Here is what your Lunch should contain. Over the next few weeks we will give you some suggestions on how to spice these items up.
An Ideal Lunch should contain :
They say the average person needs about 5 servings of fruit and vegies each day and should be an important component in your lunch.
It is important that you drink a heap of water each day. I have seen many cases of people ending up in hospital due to not drinking enough water during there working day and sticking to the drinks with high energy levels such as coffee and Red Bull.
Take a sipper bottle to work. I find if you have one near you at all times of the day you will often have a quick sip every half an hour.
You should include one form of carbohydrates which could include some bread, pasta or even cereals.
Choose an item from the milk group. It could be cheese in your sandwhich, a yogurt pottle or a glass of milk.September 14th, 2006 by good-lunch | No Comments »
- Make your lunch the evening before so you can put some time into it and so it wont be that burden in the mornings.
- Reuse the sipper bottles that you have bought filled and refill them with water.
- Make more food at dinner time - a bigger chicken, more hamburgers or another cup of pasta. You can use these for the basis of tomorrow’s lunch.
- Freeze a small juice box and place it in your lunchbox. This will keep your lunch cool so you dont get food poisoning from items being uncooled.
None of us enjoy preparing our lunch and often go for the easy option of buying a unhealthy option which is often alot more expensive.
At LunchBox we will publish quick and simple ideas to help improve your packed lunch so you have plenty of fuel for physical and mental activity while at work whch is simple to make and healthy.September 14th, 2006 by good-lunch | No Comments »